Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sketchbook Assignment 2: Storytelling from the Everyday

Quilting is a creative activity in which artistic, geometric, mathematical, and needleworking skills are required. At a quilters' jamboree such as The Quilt Fest of New Jersey X, the attendee will see award-winning innovative, traditional, and completely handmade quilts alongside entries from local quilters. The experience is illuminating for some, and inspirational for others. This past Friday at the show, I decided to eschew the brights and pastels I'm usually drawn to, and I acquired a selection of Civil War reproduction blues, browns, and creams. While resting my feet at home after the show, I paged through my quilt books for ideas and looked for something unlike anything I'd done before. Here's the complete story in pictures.











By the way, the book pictured above where I found my inspiration is: Kooler Design Studio. Quilts of Thimble Creek. Little Rock, AR: Leisure Arts, 2002. The prototype for my quilt was made by Marg Gair. My fabrics were designed by Jo Morton, Studio e, Andover, Moda, and Marcus Bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment